Skip to main content

Monster Dog (1984)

Monster Dog (1984)

RELEASED December 1, 1984 VHS June 15, 1986 RUNTIME 84 mins DIRECTOR Claudio Fragasso 

WRITERS Rossella Drudi (screenplay), Claudio Fragasso (screenplay) 

STARS Alice Cooper, Victoria Vera, Carlos Santurio 

COUNTRY United States LANGUAGE Spanish; Castilian STUDIOS Continental Motion Pictures, M&C Films, Royal Films 

GENRES Horror

Streaming on: TubiTV





The plot: A dubbed Alice Cooper plays a rockstar named Victor Raven who angers locals when his presence seems to be responsible for the return of a scary pupper who killed his parents. 


Random observations:

  • Alice Cooper kind of has a weird mullet in this, which often undermines his acting -- which despite being dubbed by another actor, is still quite impressive.
  • Half of this movie has the blue glow of the Total Eclipse of the Heart video and therefore gives me a sense memory of comfort.
  • Alice Cooper's eyeshadow likes to change color and intensity within scenes. It's pretty magnificent.

I kind of wish this were cheesier honestly. The opening song is promising but then it's rather slow. Alice Cooper is fun to watch, but nobody else really is.



0.2/1 Directing
0.3/1 Cinematography
0.4/1 Visual design
0.3/1 Editing
0.4/1 Plot 
0.2/1 Dialogue
0.5/1 Acting
0.5/1 Soundtrack/Score/Sound
0.2/1 Originality
0.2/1 Rewatchability
Total: 3.2/10 Binge Bones


The verdict: A must-see for any Alice Cooper fan, but other than that, there's not much here.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Recruit (2022-)

 The Recruit (2022-) AIRS Friday s at  3:00 AM  on  Netflix PREMIERED December 16, 2022 RUNTIME 55 m TOTAL RUNTIME 7 h  20 m   (8 episodes) CREATOR Alexi Hawley COUNTRY United States LANGUAGE English STUDIOS Hypnotic ,  Entertainment One ,  P3 Media GENRES Drama ,  Crime A fledgling lawyer at the CIA that becomes enmeshed in dangerous international power politics when a former asset threatens to expose the nature of her long-term relationship with the agency unless they exonerate her of a serious crime. Streaming on Netflix I have only watched the first episode so far, so I obviously can't speak for the whole season. The truth is I want this to be Mindhunter. :( Oh well. I appreciate the sarcasm in the writing, but I'm not sure what this show is trying to do. Is this a Jack Ryan thing? I like cheese. Mmm... cheese. I'm totally getting some cheese after I post this. 0.2/1 Directing  0.5/1 Cinematography 0.6/1 Visual design 0.1/1 Editing 0...

One Missed Call (2004)

One Missed Call (2004) Takashi Miike directs this Japanese tech-horror in which people mysteriously start receiving voicemail messages from their future selves, foretelling their deaths.  Release date: 1/17/04 (Japan) Runtime: 1 hour 52 minutes Director: Takashi Miike Writers: Yasushi Akimoto (novel), Minako Daira (screenplay) Streaming on: YouTube, TubiTV, Cinemax I was working in a movie theater when this came out and I believe at the time I didn't know Takashi Miike yet. Unfortunately it wasn't at our theater very long, and I missed the opportunity to see it on the big screen.  0.5/1 Directing  0.4/1 Cinematography 0.5/1 Visual design 0.6/1 Editing 0.4/1 Plot  0.5/1 Writing 0.3/1 Acting 0.5/1 Soundtrack/Score/Sound 0.1/1 Originality 0.5/1 Rewatchability Total: 4.3/10 Binge Bones The verdict: Inconsistently effective, maybe only watch if you already love Takashi Miike or Japanese ghost horror.  

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) RELEASED October 31, 1962 RUNTIME 135 mins DIRECTOR Robert Aldrich  WRITERS Lukas Heller (screenplay), Robert Altman (dialogue), Henry Farrell (novel)  STARS Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Victor Buono COUNTRY United States LANGUAGE English  STUDIO Associates & Aldrich Company, The  GENRES Drama, Thriller, Horror Streaming on: Hoolpa, Criterion The plot: Two aging actresses live as recluses in an old Hollywood mansion. Basically what starts as Gypsy ends as Grey Gardens. Random observations: I want their mansion. I've heard people complain about the score being too melodramatic, but I found it unimposing. Apparently, Joan Crawford insisted on having Blanche's hair and nails perfect as well as her costumes pressed. Bette Davis argued that someone who had been a recluse for 20 years wouldn't have any of these traits and that Crawford had "made a mistake".  It's been a pretty minute since I had watched this film, but I ...